daily scoop

Daily Scoop (Week 2 | Monday)

6:06:00 PM DW 0 Comments



The Appetizer: 

That One Comment That Made Me LOL


"I almost sat in your lap... your wife would have killed me," said a women who nearly fell into a man's lap trying to get to her seat in a theater. I wanted to laugh, but it would've have been even more awkward. 

The Main Course: 

For The Love of Dance, Money, & Honey


Film 1: The Dancer. The story follows the rise of a dancer in France. I love movies that center on characters that must go through some kind of dramatic life journey in order to eventually see their worth. It didn't hurt that this movie was very artistic and bold either. Loved it!

Film 2: From the Land of the Moon. This movie was mind boggling. A woman's family believes that she is crazy. The choice to send her away comes soon after she is married off to a man that she doesn't love. I felt myself feeling sorry for her throughout the film. We eventually find out through a series of events that her family may have been right. After dozing of for a bit and waking back up, I really came to appreciate this movie. 

Film 3: American Honey. I FINALLY GOT TO SEE AMERICAN HONEY!!! This was the movie that I was most excited for because: 1) It featured SHIA!! 2) It was made by a British female director. It is also her American debut! 3) Most of the cast are not actors at all, and they still did an amazing job! This movie by far has to be my favorite movie that I've seen at the festival. The movie is a whooping 2 hours and 47 minutes! Before going into this movie, I knew about the time commitment. As I watched the film, I never once was concerned about how long I'd be watching the film. There was always something going on, and I found myself not wanting the story to end. Star, Jake and the eclectic crew of magazine salesmen won my heart. 

Film 4: Hell or High Water. A standard hollywood western, centered on two brothers who go on a robbing spree, in an attempt to keep their family farm alive. It was a pretty good movie, of course I dosed off a bit, but I stayed awake for most of the film. That means it was a pretty solid flick!


Dessert: 

What To Do? What To Watch?


The festival is winding down and we have officially hit the midpoint mark. I think I've seen around around 15 films at this point, maybe more. I don't even watch that many films in a month when I'm back home. I find now that I'm burnt out and I spend most of my time sitting and relaxing at the AMPAV. I think I sat at the Pav for at least 3 hours today. Most of that time was also spent working on my American Honey review. Check it out here.

The highlight of my day came later on. I decided to go see a film that I barely knew anything about. After sitting down and waiting patiently for Hell or High Water to began, I was pleasantly surprised. The director and cast casually walked on stage. They talked about how excited they were to be finally revealing the film, and then proceeded to walk to their seats. I'm proud to say that I was sitting in the same row as the two leading actors, Chris Pine and Ben Foster. As I watched the film, I often glanced over to Chris Pine, and he was definitely proud to be in this film. He smiled for 99.9% of the time while the film was showing. 

When the film was over we waited out front for the actors to walk out. I got close enough to be moved back by Chris Pine's body guard, but also capture a video of him strutting out of the theatre. My hand was swatted away by one of Ben Foster's team members, as I reached out to touch his shoulder. As Beth freaked out about being in his prescience, I handed her one of my begging signs and a sharpie. She managed to get his attention by saying, "Excuse me Mr. Foster", despite, the previous warnings from his team member. He signed the paper, and agreed to take a picture with Patrick, Beth, and I. He also laughed at Patrick's dad joke. haha. It was a pretty great night! The Chris Pine videos below should keep you satisfied until I post Tuesday's post! (ignore any weird screaming noises. haha!)



     







You Might Also Like