daily scoop

The Daily Scoop (Week 1 | Wednesday)

6:23:00 PM DW 0 Comments




Appetizer: 

That One Film Quote About Killer Food

"We're about to become snacks for the freaking snacks!" The actor from Attack of the Killer Donuts screamed as he was about to be killed by the mutant donuts. At this point in the film nothing surprised. I couldn't help but laugh and hope the main characters made it out alive.

Picture this: Your alarm starts screaming at you at 8AM. You refuse to move but, you have to... you're in freaking France, and nothing will keep you down, not even the need for a few more minutes of sleep. You get up, suck it up, and make a quick blueberry jam sandwich -- which is actually pretty good. You meet up with the group and head for the train. You're trying to contain your excitement as you head for a 10 o'clock screening, that ultimately gets cancelled or... better yet, the company decides to switch things up and change the movie that you wanted to see! You know, just to keep the film viewers on their toes...


The Main Course:
Football & Donuts


Film 1: Courage. The first movie that I saw a football biopic, about an influential University of Texas player. Let's just say, football was the number one priority, which left little room for other topics in the film. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't my favorite.

Film 2: Attack of the Killer Donuts. I would just like to say that the theater was nearly packed for this movie -- let's not talk about the fact that half of those people were from UGA... People were actually anxiously waiting to get into the theater as well. Walking into the theater no one would be able to take a movie about mutant donuts serious. I saw people grinning from ear to ear, as the main characters battled crazy donuts. I hate to admit it, but I liked it. You probably won't be seeing this one at your local theater anytime soon, but... you may be able to catch it on Netflix -- don't quote me. Fingers crossed!


Dessert: 

The Premier & The Red Carpet

Don't let the pretty dress and the premier ticket fool ya, there's blood, sweat and tears that come before the glitz and the glam. My late afternoon consisted of walking to a party that I never actually got to enjoy, frantically trying to figure out how to ask for tickets to the premier, and trying to figure out the perfect time to change into my gown. Needless to saw, I pleaded with a sign that read, "CAFE SOCIETY UN PLACE S.V.P." It didn't quit work, but my girl Jessica held it down, and I was able to slip onto the red carpet with a ticket in hand. I didn't witness anyone walking down the red carpet, because of course all of the big name celebrities show up late!

The Premier: Cafe Society. When I sat in my balcony seat, I was expecting the movie to start right away, but of course it didn't. There was an opening ceremony, equipped with a host, a few flashy dance numbers, a Prince tribute, and a star studded jury (is it bad that I can imagine Kirsten Dunst saying, "This is not a democracy, it's a cheerocracy" as she judges each film?). After all of that, and a small break, the movie finally began.

Here's what you need to know: the film featured lots of big names, with an even bigger director. I won't lie...I fell asleep multiple times, and I found the story to be a bit ironic, disturbing, and unfulfilling. Don't even get me started on the ending! I won't spoil anything for the people who want to see it, but just remember I warned you. Nonetheless, I was happy that I had the opportunity to experience the opening ceremony, and I can't wait to do it all again! More to come...

You Might Also Like