daily scoop

Daily Scoop (Week 2 | Sunday)

6:40:00 AM DW 0 Comments



The Appetizer: 

That One Kid Who Was A Little Too Bold


"That little girl just flicked me off!" I said in disbelief. I would really like to know what the French are teaching their children. After being flicked off by a 4 year old, and seeing a dog that was more disciplined, I could truly say I've seen it all while in France. 

The Main Course: 

The Movies I Loved!(a.k.a. The Ones I Didn't Fall Asleep In)


The movies below are the ones that I would recommend to just about anyone. They probably weren't on many people's radars during the festival, but I loved them and  I would definitely watch them again! All of the films below were foreign films and I'm not sure they'll ever make it to the US, but if they do, don't forget who told you about them first.



1. American Honey: I loved it because Shia, duh!! But also Sasha did an amazing job, as well as the supporting cast members. I still can't believe that most of the cast members had never acted before. The story was also very intriguing and the music is indescribable! It's even inspired me to create an American Honey Spotify Playlist.



2. The Handmaiden: This movie was a very twisted tale with a lot depth. It was really interesting to see the character development throughout this tale, as well as the development of the plot as a whole. I also loved how the audience was gradually made aware of certain aspects of the film. The three part breakdown was also a nice touch.



3. Late Shift: I still can not get over the fact that the audience held all of the power in this film. There were hundreds of possibilities and combinations, which means that there was a lot of thought that went into this film. The execution was brilliant and it'll be interesting to see how this filmmaking approach works out in the future.



4. Always Shining: I just love how this film kept me on my toes. I would need to re-watch this film to fully understand the symbolism and story that it's trying to tell. Both of the leading actresses did an amazing job, and I would recommend this film to everyone.




5. Pericles the Black Man: The protagonist in the film was a bit weird and out of place in his life. The actor did an amazing job of portraying this sort of loner-type character, who finds his way in the end. This story was about an underdog who breaks free, and that's one of the man reasons why I loved it!

Honorable Mentions:
- Elle
- Two Lovers and a Bear



Dessert: 

Reflection!!


So yesterday I lied! Today is actually the last day of the festival. After seeing about 25 movies (maybe more) and over 10 short films in 2 weeks I decided to relax and actually didn't see  any films today. I've seen an array of films (6 in competition films, 6 un certain regard films, and others) and I believe that now I appreciate the art of filmmaking a little more. I am also more willing to seek out different types of films in various genres. I'm also really excited about researching some of the previous work that a few of the directors from the festival have done in the past. Some people would like to know this: After spending two weeks watching and reviewing films, will I go out and make a film? Maybe not...or at least, not right now.

Although I didn't see any film, I still went into Cannes and attempted (but failed miserably) to get tickets to the closing ceremony. As always I ran into a few interesting people, and witnessed some pretty interesting things. The particular thing that shocked me the most was the man on crutches that we saw get denied from the red carpet. Hannah-Marie and I witnesses as a man on crutches dressed in a suit and sneakers, was turned away from the red carpet. Witnessing that just confirmed how crazy the red carpet rules are.

Over the course of the festival, I met a crazy amount of people, witnessed some intense things, and even made a few new friends! I loved experiencing everything, and I will be back!

Thanks Cannes!

You Might Also Like