daily scoop

Daily Scoop (Week 2 | Wednesday)

2:40:00 PM DW 0 Comments


The Appetizer: 

That One Wise Quote About Trusting Your Heart

"A young man may trust his ears but a wise man trusts his heart,"a quote from the life altering movie, Late Shift. As I sat in the theater I marveled how the audience could shape the adventure that the main character participated in.


The Main Course: 

A Girl & A Boy... scared, trapped, and in love

Film 1: The Unknown Girl. After finding out that a young girl is killed outside of her practice, a doctor searched for the truth. I was excited to see this movie unfold. Going into the film I was expecting over the top thriller about a bold doctor who wasn't afraid to take risk. As the film unfolded I quickly realized that this was not going to be a thriller at all, but instead a lackluster drama. I was extremely displeased by how the plot was executed and the lack of action made things worse. I was in a constant sleep cycle of waking up and then quickly falling back to sleep throughout the film. This was most defiantly due to the fact that I'd caught a 6:41 train for an 8:30 showing of this movie. That definitely was not worth it.

Film 2: The Exil. This was yet another disappointment. A group of us had tried to get in to see this film earlier in the week and was denied. After that I was sure that this would be a great film. I was sadly mistaken. The film was structured like a documentary, told from the perspective of someone who had been exiled. It was very boring and I most defiantly continued my nap in this film.

Film 3: Late Shift. By 3:30 I'd seen two bad films and I desperately needed some sort of cushion. This movie was just what I needed. The movie followed a university student on a not-so-typical journey during his nigh shift. The film was a choose-your-own adventure film and the audience held all of the power. Throughout the film, the audience was given the opportunity to decide how the main character responded to every choice he was presented with. Using a special app and their cell phones, the audience pressed each option, and the answer that was chosen the most was reflected in the film. The film was very intriguing and offered a great alternative to traditional film viewing.

Film 4: Two Lovers and a Bear. The title is something special, but that isn't the reason why I decided to go watch it. The intriguing Tatiana Maslany stars in the film, about a couple who decides to travel across Alaska in order to escape both of their pasts. The film engulfs the audience, and I often found myself routing for the couple when they were up, and praying that they survived during their lows. I really appreciated the film's plot, but the ending still doesn't quite sit right with me. 

Dessert: 

Going With The Flow

I've decided that planning my day out is not the best thing to do. Instead I just go with the flow. This morning due to the impeding strikes currently happening on the trains in France, I had to wake up at 6:15 AM in order to catch a 6:41AM train for a 8:30AM movie. The train window was closed when I reached the station and so, I was yet again crossing my fingers that I wouldn't get caught without my updated train ticket. Thankfully I haven't been caught yet, but living life on the edge is scary-- well not really on the edge. haha. The day was filled with yet another crop of movies, both bad and good. I also met yet another lovely human being coming from London. She'd been offered the opportunity to come to Cannes through her company, which researched different sectors in the film industry. I'd also met a woman who'd been offered the opportunity to come to Cannes because of her short film. She'd revealed to us while waiting on The Unknown Girl, that she'd worked in reality tv for a while and now she was breaking into scripted content, specifically film. Trying goat cheese for the first time and hanging out with Emily was pretty awesome too! Meeting this bubbly actor from LA--who made sure to let us know that he acted with Nicholas Cage-- was probably one of the funniest moments of the day too. 

You Might Also Like